Expansion of the University Data Centre
In September 2015 the VP Research & International (VPRI) Office began work in collaboration with UBCIT to implement a phased expansion of the current infrastructure available to researchers in the University Data Centre (UDC). As a Compute Canada approved facility for Canadian Foundation for Innovation (CFI) contributed infrastructure, the UDC ensures compliance with CFI expectations that contributed CFI ARC infrastructure can be managed and housed by Compute Canada and also support UBC’s Advanced Research Computing (ARC) needs. Some of the changes being implemented in the UDC and led by the newly established UBC VPRI ARC team include:
- No UBC ARC support fees or UDC facility fees to be charged to CFI funded researchers with ARC infrastructure
- Team dedicated to supporting both the transition of existing and the installation of new contributed CFI ARC infrastructure to the UDC
- Expansion of pre-installed racks to house infrastructure that do not have unique rack requirements
- Additional security measures on a select number of racks housing infrastructure with confidential and sensitive data
- Expansion of Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS) capacity
- Expansion of network capacity and installation of a dedicated research network
- Implementation of new data centre operations management software
The existing UDC Co-location Service costs detailed in the UBCIT service catalogue no longer apply to CFI funded ARC infrastructure procured or transitioned in consultation with UBC ARC. Additional details on the planned UDC expansion and waiver of fees will be added the to the UBC ARC and UBCIT websites in the coming months.
For additional information or specific inquiries please contact the UBC ARC team or request a consultation at no charge by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.