Cloud environments provide a powerful and flexible computing option for research. UBC ARC works with researchers to determine how cloud infrastructure, platforms and services can deliver new, effective tools and capabilities for research. Contact UBC ARC today to learn more about how we can support you in exploring the power of the cloud.
ARC can work with your research team to determine how cloud services can provide resources to meet science requirements. This includes vetting the security of cloud providers for sensitive and restricted data and extending software licenses for use in the cloud.
ARC is developing platforms that leverage Cloud environments to provide a powerful and flexible computing option for many researchers. The flexibility of cloud services, including scalability and elasticity, enables multiple approaches for solving problems in research. We build and implement platforms to enable ease of use, leveraging cloud-native technologies when possible.
Compute Canada Cloud
UBC ARC provides direct support for the Compute Canada cloud service. This service responds to researchers who have a need for greater configurability, availability, durability or portability than may be available on non-cloud systems or clusters. More information can be found here.
ACTIVE PILOT PROJECTS
UBC is actively engaged with Microsoft through the VPRI Open Science partnership to work cooperatively to design and pilot solutions, determine how to address barriers, particularly those unique to the Canadian context, and enable leading researchers to accelerate time to discovery and innovation. To learn more or apply for access to resources through the partnership, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
RONIN.cloud Platform for AWS
RONIN is an incredibly simplistic web application that allows researchers and scientists to launch complex compute resources leveraging AWS cloud infrastructure within minutes. ARC has worked directly with RONIN to configure this platform to address the needs of the UBC research community. To learn more or apply for access to RONIN please contact email@example.com
FUNDING AND CREDIT OPPORTUNITIES
RONIN and Intel Credit Opportunities
Through our partners at RONIN and Intel, we are able to access up to $20,000 USD of in-kind AWS credits for use on ARC’s Cloud Platform (RONIN). We are seeking researchers with HPC projects that meet one or more of the following criteria:
- CPU-bound HPC workloads.
- Inefficient GPU workloads. I.e., GPU-only applications, program or scripts that require a GPU but do not fully utilize the hardware
- Research workloads that have a great & marketable story.
- Established projects with outcomes that would be significantly impacted by increased CPU resources
For more information or to apply please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Microsoft Justice Reform Initiative – Azure Credit Opportunities
The Microsoft Justice Reform Initiative is focused on reducing racial disparities in the justice system through front-end justice system reform. The initiative has three priorities, including:
- Policing: Improving relationships between law enforcement and communities
- Diversion: Advancing alternatives to arrest and incarceration
- Prosecution: Increasing transparency and accountability in prosecutorial practice
In addition, Microsoft has a broader commitment to advancing racial equity and would welcome proposals across other topical domains that are centered on advancing racial justice.
The team working on the Criminal Justice Reform Initiative are offering Azure grants valued up to $75K to universities working on these topics. They are actively seeking researchers at UBC who might benefit from an Azure grant or other resources to support this work.
To take advantage of this opportunity or for more information, please contact email@example.com.
AI for Humanitarian Action helps respond to global humanitarian issues by providing funding for organizations, institutions and labs developing AI solutions in four focus areas. Some examples include:
- Human rights –The Carter Center, in partnership with Microsoft, created a machine learning tool to automate the analysis of complex conflict data to better inform peacebuilding efforts.
- Refugees and displaced people – Supporting vulnerable families, youth, refugees and immigrants, Centro Legal streamlined casework for immigration freeing up staff to focus on clients, not paperwork.
- Disaster response – SEEDS India worked with Microsoft to create a system to predict the risks of natural disaster using local conditions, allowing communities to be better prepared before disaster strikes.
- Needs of children – Long-time non-profit partner Operation Smile is enhancing surgical outcomes and helping more children in need of facial surgery using a facial modelling algorithm.
This program will provide Azure, data science services, and Azure engineering support.
Microsoft are accepting applications globally but are particularly interested in projects located in Africa, consortium-based projects, or those supporting digital skilling for women and will be prioritizing accordingly.
More information can be found on the AI for Humanitarian Action landing page: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/ai/ai-for-humanitarian-action
Project proposals must be submitted by 31 May 2021. Submit here.
XSEDE COVID-19 HPC Consortium
Through the COVID-19 High-Performance Computing (HPC) Consortium, public health researchers working on COVID-19 related projects can apply for AWS credits to be used on ARC’s Cloud Platform (RONIN). ARC staff are available to assist you with filling in the application to ensure you receive the appropriate resources. More information can be found here.
To apply, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and one of our experts will ensure you are guided through the application process.
The computational resources needed by our community fluctuate throughout the year. We are evaluating cloud computing as a possible solution to provide additional compute capacity during times of high need.
EVENTS AND EDUCATION
Please watch this section for upcoming training and events.